IBEW Local 697 Electricians Apprenticeship Application Information
Applications can be picked up on the Second Wednesday of each month between the hours of 9:00am to Noon and from 1:00pm to 4:00pm.
You may also apply online, at any time, by clicking here.
The application process starts with a visit to our school to pick up your application packet.
Where are we located? 7200 Mississippi Street, Suite 100 Merrillville, Indiana. 46410
You will be asked a few simple questions to determine if you qualify:
1. Are you at least 18 years of age?
2. Are you a high school graduate or do you have a G.E.D. certificate?
3. Have you completed two semesters of high school algebra, or equivalent, with at least a “C” in each semester?
Grades must be verified by submission of transcripts directly mailed or faxed to our apprenticeship office by the school where the classes were taken.
***It is your responsibility to contact your school and request that your transcripts be sent to us!***
You will need to bring these things with you when you come in:
1. Identification in the form of a valid driver’s license.
2. A NON-REFUNDABLE $40.00 cash only application processing fee.
After you return your completed application you will need to provide:
1. A copy of your birth certificate.
2. An official high school transcript. If you have a GED, this document is required ALONG with a transcript for whatever time you did spend in high school.
NOTE: You will have 28 days to return the application to our office. These documents can be hand-delivered or mailed. If mailed, the mailing date must be no later than 28 days from the date the application was picked up.
Transcripts, birth certificate, and DD-214 must also be received by our office by that date or your application will be voided; you will have to start the process over again and you will be charged an additional application fee.
****We cannot accept your documents without a completed application.Any paperwork sent to the school that can not be matched up with a completed application will be discarded.****
You have picked up your application, paid your fee and made sure that all required paperwork was returned within the 28 day deadline…. What happens next?
• Your application and paperwork is reviewed to verify that it is complete and that you meet ALL the minimum requirements.
• You will then be scheduled to come to the training center to take the national aptitude test.
• Applicants who successfully pass the aptitude test will be scheduled for an interview with the committee. Applicants who do not meet the minimum required score on the aptitude test will have to wait six months before becoming eligible for re-testing.
• Each applicant who is interviewed is given a score, and entered into a database.
• When the committee determines that we can begin a new class, applicants are selected from the database. The applicants will be selected starting with the highest score.
• Before beginning initial training, each eligible applicant must submit to a physical and a drug screening that is paid for by the JATC.
• Only those selected applicants who pass the physical and drug screening will begin training in the next class.